crime & courts

IUPD investigating Saturday evening rape at Eigenmann Hall

IU Police Department is investigating a rape that occurred Saturday evening at Eigenmann Hall, allegedly involving two men and one woman, according to a Wednesday crime notice from IUPD. 

After receiving the notice, students living in Eigenmann called in tips to IUPD saying they knew who one of the assaulters was, Deputy Chief Shannon Bunger said. Screenshots of a GroupMe conversation sent to the Indiana Daily Student show students living in Eigenmann alleging one student was the rapist. 

A video shows a student in front of Eigenmann being handcuffed and led into an IUPD police car Wednesday evening, but Bunger said no arrests have been made related to the rape. He said whenever someone enters an IUPD car, they’re placed in handcuffs. 

IUPD learned who the survivor was Tuesday from the Dean of Students Office, but she doesn’t want to press charges, Bunger said. However, officers are investigating a person of interest to see if they committed the crime or broke the IU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct.

If you or someone you know is a survivor of sexual assault or rape, there are resources to help. The Division of Student Affairs offers confidential support. To speak to a confidential victim advocate, call 812-856-2469 or email cva@indiana.edu. For more resources in Bloomington, click here. Call 911 in an emergency.