crime & courts

UPDATE: Bloomington man arrested for attempted murder Aug. 29, charges changed Thursday to aggravated battery

A 25-year-old Bloomington man was remanded for an attempted murder charge Aug. 29. The alleged charges have been reduced to aggravated battery, Bloomington Police Department Captain Ryan Pedigo said Thursday. 

Bloomington Police Department officers responded around 4:15 a.m. Aug. 29 to the IU Health Emergency Department, where the 20-year-old woman underwent emergency surgery for a gunshot wound in the upper abdomen. 

The charge change followed an interview with the woman, police said. Detectives talked with her in the hospital, where she said she believes the suspect wasn’t trying to kill her and the gun went off accidentally. 

The alleged crime took place in a parking lot on South Walnut Springs Drive, BPD Capt. Ryan Pedigo said. The victim and an acquaintance were sitting in a black BMW in the parking lot when Matthew May allegedly approached the car and shot her, according to witness reports. 

May told the acquaintance, who was in the passenger's seat, to exit the car, according to witness reports. She got out of the car, and May reportedly took the victim’s place in the driver’s seat. The victim reportedly ended up in the passenger’s seat. The suspect reportedly drove the victim to the IU Health Bloomington Hospital. 

After emergency surgery, the victim was taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis due to the seriousness of his condition, Pedigo said.

Investigators and evidence technicians found a nine millimeter shell casing in the parking lot, Pedigo said. Police are still investigating the type of weapon used.

Officers interviewed May, but evidence found in the car contradicts statements made by May, Pedigo said.

This story was updated Sept. 3 at 5:23 p.m. to reflect the latest information.