politics bloomington

Here are Monroe County's elections to watch for November 2020

cavoter082620.jpg

Monroe County voters will choose representatives for U.S. Congress, the Indiana General Assembly, school board, circuit court and county council in November. 

Indiana’s voter registration deadline is Oct. 5. Early voting begins Oct. 6.

Here’s a list of local elections to watch as voting nears. The Indiana Daily Student published a list of state and national elections to pay attention to here. The IDS will provide more in-depth coverage of local candidates in the coming months. 

U.S. Congress, 9th District 

Republican incumbent Rep. Trey Hollingsworth was first elected in 2016. He will run for reelection against Democrat Andy Ruff, a former Bloomington City Council member, and Libertarian Tonya Millis, a realtor.

Hollingsworth won in 2018 with 56.5% of the vote. The Cook Political Report rated this seat as solidly Republican.

Indiana General Assembly

Democrat Shelli Yoder is running to represent state Senate District 40. Republican incumbents Peggy Mayfield and Jeff Ellington are running in Districts 60 and 62, respectively, for the state House of Representatives. Mayfield faces Democrat Tiffany Grant, a math teacher, and Ellington is up against Alyssa Bailey, a teacher and army veteran.

School board

Three of four races for seats on the Monroe County Community School Corporation’s school board are contested. The board has seven seats total, and candidates are nonpartisan. Incumbent Keith Klein, who represents District 5, is the only candidate running unopposed. 

Two candidates are challenging incumbent Sue Wanzer for the District 2 seat, April Hennessey and Matthew Smith. Marsha Lovejoy is challenging incumbent Cathy Fuentes-Rohwer in District 4, and Philip Eskew Jr. is running against incumbent Jacinda Townsend Gides in District 6.

Three of five school board seats are up for election in Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corporation. All three candidates — Brad Tucker, Jimmie Dale Durnil and Larry DeMoss — are running unopposed. 

County Council 

Six candidates will compete for three at-large seats on the Monroe County Council. Democrats Trent Deckard, Geoff McKim and Cheryl Munson are currently serving in council seats. Independent Janna Arthur and Republicans Jim Allen and Larrin Wampler are challenging them. 

Circuit Court 

Five judge candidates will appear on the ballot for the Monroe Circuit Court. Four are running unopposed. Democrat Kara Elaine Krothe is up against Republican incumbent Judith Benckart for the fifth seat.

Monroe County Commissioners

Two Monroe County Commissioners are up for election. Democrat Julie Thomas is running against Randy Paul, a Green party candidate, for the second district. Democrat Penny Githens is running unopposed in the third district. 

Additional positions 

Candidates for the Monroe County auditor, treasurer, coroner and surveyor are running unopposed.