sports softball

IU softball's Emily Goodin touted as No. 4 pitcher in nation by D1 Softball

spiusbgoodin070920.jpg

At the beginning of the IU softball season, head coach Shonda Stanton listed two goals for senior Emily Goodin.

On the field, Stanton wanted one strikeout per inning. Goodin struck out 1.03 batters per inning. Check.

Stanton also wanted Goodin to be in command mentally.

Goodin accomplished that, too, and as a result was named the No. 4 analytical pitcher in the nation entering next season by d1softball.com. The rankings were broken down into three categories: zone control, pitch ability and durability, to rank the top 100 pitchers in the country.

The recognition came after Goodin appeared in 18 of the Hoosiers’ 21 games last season. Her 111 strikeouts tied for 17th best in the nation, her five shutouts were tied for sixth in the country and she led IU with a 1.76 ERA.

On Feb. 8, Goodin picked up a complete game victory over Clemson University that started a streak of 12 consecutive complete games. Her last game of the streak came in the home opener against Miami University, where she struck out a career-high 14 and guided IU to a 1-0 walk-off win.

She made the record books again during the streak with a five inning no-hitter against Bucknell University on Feb. 21, the second no-hitter of her career.

Along with seniors Gabbi Jenkins, Katie Lacefield and Bella Norton, Goodin will take advantage of the NCAA’s coronavirus eligibility waiver to play one more season for IU in what the team has dubbed “victory lap” on Twitter.

With the addition of former Ivy League Player of the Year and Dartmouth University transfer Micah Schroder, the offense has will have more depth. Goodin’s return solidifies a lineup that will make the Hoosiers contenders in the Big Ten.