Tuesday, March 19

IU Athletics transitions to phase 2 of restart

Scott Dolson.jpg

Phase two of the IU Athletics restart plan went into effect June 29, according to an announcement last week. The change came a week after 187 athletes and staff tested negative for coronavirus.

The adjustments from phase one to phase two include allowing quarterbacks to throw to receivers and letting larger groups work together at one time.

Players also have access to foodat Tobias Nutrition Center at Memorial Stadium for “Grab and Go” services.

"We are receiving guidance and protocols from the best doctors as we continue returning groups of our students to campus," IU athletic director Scott Dolson said in a release.

Phase one of the restart plan was announced June 3. IU football began limited-contact practice June 15, and men’s and women’s basketball returned to practice June 18.Athletes who return are required to undergo a series of pre-screening steps before returning and must adhere to daily medical checks.

IU women’s soccer will return July 6, and volleyball will return July 8. Field hockey and men’s soccer will return next week, and cross-country will resume practice Aug. 18. Other fall sports will return when school begins Aug. 24.

Workouts this fall are voluntary due to the potential health risks of coronavirus. Former IU athletic director Fred Glass announced last week that all athletes who choose not to return for safety reasons will still receive their scholarships.