arts theater

Cardinal Stage announces 2020 programming

entcardinalstagebrief070620

Cardinal Stage has announced its upcoming 2020 programming. The summer-fall programming is under the Artistic Adventures banner.

“The goal of this Artistic Adventure is to bring theatre into your lives in new and exciting ways and to provide opportunities for you to create art in the community,” a release from Cardinal Stage said.

The first event is the Social DisDance Party. Cardinal Stage is organizing, an outdoor and socially distanced dance party 7 p.m. July 18 at Bryan Park Attendees can participate by learning a choreographed dance that will be performed at the start of the party. 

Another program is Play Dates, which is a monthly book club but for theater. Each month a new play or musical will be read and discussed. Purchasing the script is required, and meetings will take place at 7 p.m. the last Wednesday of every month on Zoom.

Additionally, with Cardinal at Home, Cardinal Stage is commissioning playwrights to create multiple short plays that can be performed with family and friends at home. The suggested donation is $5-$10 per play, and the first play will be released in August. 

Walkabout Radio Plays features downloadable, original radio plays and companion maps that contribute to the story. The suggested donation is $10-$15 per play. 

Also announced was the New Play Commission. As a part of Cardinal Stage’s Diversity and Inclusion Commission, it will commission a new play from a rising playwright to be created and developed at Cardinal and set to premiere in the 2022-23 season.