sports women's soccer

Leaders arise for IU women’s soccer amid coronavirus pandemic

spiuwsoccaptains062520.jpg

The IU women’s soccer team has dealt with its share of changes since the conclusion of last season. Besides the complicated challenges caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the Hoosiers’ home at Bill Armstrong Stadium has been undergoing some remodeling. 

As the Hoosiers transition into the new-look stadium and the uncertain fall schedule, two constants in the women’s soccer program were named captains Wednesday.

Senior defender Allison Jorden and sophomore midfielder Avery Lockwood, who both started all 19 matches for the Hoosiers last year, will lead the team as captains in 2020.

"Allison and Avery represent our program's values, philosophy and goals both on and off the field," IU head coach Erwin van Bennekom said in a release. "As a staff, we look forward to working with them both, as well as our leadership group, to continue to raise the standards of our program." 

In her fifth year at IU, Jorden provides experience to a 2020 roster that features 10 sophomores. She was also at IU during the transition from former head coach Amy Berbary to van Bennekom, who’s entering his second year with the program.  

Jorden was an immediate presence on the pitch in her freshman year, starting all 20 games for IU and scoring two goals. After suffering a season-ending injury during her sophomore campaign, Jorden returned to form in her junior season, totaling the most minutes played on the team.

Last season, Jorden was named to the All-Big Ten second team. She held together the back line of defense and helped the Hoosiers shut out Big Ten opponents for a program record six times.

"This year has been as unusual as it possibly could have been, no doubt," Jorden said in a release. "Yet, this team has somehow managed to become closer, better and stronger through all of what has happened, and I really can't wait to see how that translates on the field this fall. I'm really just proud and grateful to get to be a part of it all." 

Jorden’s co-captain, Lockwood, moved up the ranks quickly within the program as a freshman last season.

Lockwood arrived at IU as a highly touted four-star recruit and was ranked No. 34 in the nation, according to IMG Academy’s top-150 list.

Lockwood was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team last season after netting five goals and serving up three assists. Two of her five goals came as game-winners against Illinois and Michigan State.

“In this role I hope to help raise the level of this team and create an environment where we are never satisfied with the level we're at,” Lockwood said in a release.

The unusual tandem of the upperclass and underclass captains will look to improve on IU’s 8-9-2 overall mark and 4-5-2 Big Ten record last season. The Hoosiers were eliminated in the first round of the conference tournament to conclude van Bennekom’s first year at the helm.

With the resumption of sports, upgraded facilities and leadership on the field, the Hoosiers will attempt to notch their first winning season since 2013.