sports softball

Former Ivy League Player of the Year joins IU softball as transfer

spiusbschroder062120.jpg

A hashtag on social media became popular with the IU softball team late last week.

Dartmouth College graduate transfer Micah Schroder signed with the IU softball team last week, spurring her future teammates to spread the phrase #mightywithmicah on Twitter to welcome the newest Hoosier.

She will be immediately eligible for IU.

The left-handed swinging Schroder, who was a utility infielder at Dartmouth, recorded a .335 average over her four years for the Big Green, including 120 hits, 78 RBI’s and 15 home runs.

Schroder had a record-setting season in her junior year and was named the Ivy League Player of the Year. She batted .473 and knocked in 40 RBIs, both of which were single-season program records. Schroder also finished with a .786 slugging percentage, which was second in single-season program history. 

One year earlier in her sophomore season, Schroder led the Big Green offensively with a .367 average, 44 total hits, 29 runs scored and 27 RBI. She also earned second team All-Ivy honors.

In the 2020 campaign, Schroder started at first base in all 10 of Dartmouth’s games, hitting .286 before the season was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

According to a release from Dartmouth, Schroder said she planned to attend graduate school to get a master’s in economics or business analytics while utilizing her final year of eligibility. Bloomington became the landing spot for Schroder.

“What I am going to miss most about Dartmouth is the people and the atmosphere,” Schroder said in a release. “Every day at Dartmouth I met someone new or was reminded about how talented my fellow classmates were.” 

Now, Schroder will take a step up in competition and join an IU team that held a 12-9 record before the season was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Junior Annika Baez started all 21 games at first base for the Hoosiers last season, batting .222 with four home runs. Senior Katie Lacefield started every game at second base for IU, recording a .119 average with 15 strikeouts.

Schroder could potentially slide into one of those two positions, creating some competition for playing time on the right side of the infield.

“Have enjoyed your approach throughout this process & excited for you to get to btown this fall,” IU head coach Shonda Stanton said to Schroder in a tweet.