crime & courts

US marshals arrest two men after car chase in Bloomington

Members of the United States Marshals Service arrested two people Monday after a car chase, according to Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo.

U.S. marshals in Indianapolis contacted a BPD detective Sunday regarding locating 25-year-old Jason Brown, who had outstanding arrest warrants for the charges of stalking, domestic battery and criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon. 

They believed Brown was staying in Bloomington and was possibly in possession of firearms and body armor. Several US marshals traveled to Bloomington Monday to arrest Brown. 

When observing the residence where he was thought to be staying, authorities saw Brown leave the house in a pickup truck with another man. Authorities began following the vehicle, and the truck began to speed up and did not stop when the marshals turned on their emergency lights. 

In the chase, the truck drove westbound on Southern Drive west of Grant Street around a barrier meant to close the road. The truck later failed to stop at an intersection on Walnut Street and collided with another truck.

The two individuals struck by the truck complained of neck and back pain and were evaluated by EMTs. The driver of the truck causing the collision, 26-year-old William Bennett, Jr., also was transported to the hospital for pain and an abrasion to his face.

Brown and Bennett were removed from the vehicle and taken into custody. The truck was determined to be stolen from Carmel, Indiana, and a handgun was located under the passenger seat.

Both men were booked into Monroe County Correctional Center. Bennett was charged with vehicle theft with a prior conviction and resisting law enforcement with a vehicle. In addition to his three outstanding warrants, Brown was also charged with possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon.