crime & courts

UPDATED: Bloomington adoption attorney shot, killed Saturday night

News-filler

This story was updated at 10:50 a.m. April 6 to include information from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

A 56-year-old Bloomington attorney died Saturday night from a gunshot wound to the chest after allegedly pointing a gun at someone during a dispute.

The Monroe County Sheriff’s office responded to a 9:01 p.m. Saturday call to a home on Lauren Lane. When police got there, they saw the body of Donald Francis laying in his driveway and a family member attempting to help, according to a press release from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office. 

Francis was taken in an ambulance to IU Health Bloomington Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead at 9:58 p.m.

According to the release, there was a dispute between Francis and a family member. Francis allegedly left the home with a gun in his hand. The family member followed, took a handgun out of a car in the driveway and shot Franics one time in the chest. Police were told by another person at the home at the time that Francis pointed his gun at the person just before being shot. 

The investigation is still active, according to the release. 

An autopsy was performed Monday morning by Monroe County Coroner Joani Shields. Once there are results, the case will be reviewed by the Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office to determine whether or not the shooting was in self-defense and if charges will be filed. 

Francis was a local adoption attorney and the owner of Heartland Adoption Agency.

According to past Indiana Daily Student reporting, Francis was part of then-Gov. Mike Pence's adoption study committee in 2014. He also helped draft a bill to allow access to birth records for people who were adopted from 1941 onward.