student life coronavirus student life coronavirus

IU students frustrated stimulus payments don’t include many college students

castimulus040120

As a part of the federal government’s $2 trillion relief bill to help keep American households and businesses afloat during the COVID-19 pandemic, most adults in the U.S. are set to receive a check from the government to help offset costs of living.

But a stipulation in the bill means it will leave out many college students who are also suffering as a result of the coronavirus. Individuals claimed as dependents on tax filings will not receive a payment.

Single adults who make $75,000 or less and married couples who make $150,000 or less will receive $1,200, according to the National Conference of State Legislators. After that, the payment decreases as income increases. A single adult who makes at least $99,000 and married couples who make at least $218,000 won’t receive any relief funding.

People will receive an additional $500 for each dependent they claim as a dependent who is under the age of 17.

According to the Washington Post, Social Security recipients who don't typically file a tax return will automatically receive a payment of $1,200.

Sophomore Delainey Cockrell was hoping to receive a stimulus check as a result of this new bill but said she was disappointed she would be excluded.

“I think we were overlooked because people assume if we get financial aid, it is enough to cover all the financial obligations we have,” Cockrell said. “We have food, books and rent to pay.”

Junior Kayjah Avant said the use of 2019 tax returns, which were filed a year ago, hurts those whose financial situations might have changed during this school year. She said being claimed as a dependent on her mother's 2019 taxes wasn’t ideal because she is no longer financially dependent on her mother.

Avant originally anticipated getting $500 from her parents giving her money from claiming her as a dependent. But only filers with dependents under 17 get the additional $500. 

Avant said $500 wouldn’t have covered her monthly expenses, but she was going to do what she could with it.

“Getting $500 was better than getting nothing,” Avant said. “I’m a college student. I pay rent. I have phone bills. Life goes on, and now I don’t even get that.”

Junior Deontae Bolden said he is frustrated with this oversight and believes lawmakers don’t fully understand students’ financial obligations.

Bolden said all students should receive some money regardless of their dependence status. He said the government can’t know the individual situations for every student.

“They don’t know what these kids go through and it’s not a valid way to decide who gets it,” Bolden said. “Just because they are declared as a dependent you don’t know what they are going through and the financial hurdles they are going through at home.”