crime & courts coronavirus

Bloomington man arrested after coughing on police, claiming to have coronavirus

A Bloomington man coughed on police and told them he had the coronavirus early Monday after police responded to a separate disturbance call, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo said in an email.

Pedigo said a security guard monitoring a parking lot told police he saw 27-year-old Ethan Hoadley yelling and tipping over a parked motorcycle. 

Officers were on the scene due to a prior disturbance call at South Walnut Street regarding a woman who said a man was trying to kidnap her while she was walking on Country Club Drive. She said the man held her against the fencing of a bridge with his bicycle before she was able to escape.

Her boyfriend, Hoadley, drove to the scene to find the man she claimed tried to kidnap her.

When speaking to police, Pedigo said Hoadley became belligerent and refused to follow commands. Police took Hoadley into custody to learn about his involvement. Officers smelled alcohol on him and determined he was intoxicated. 

When taken to the police department for dexterity testing, Hoadley tried to cough on officers and told them he had the coronavirus, Pedigo said. Hoadley again became belligerent and refused to walk. Hoadley later urinated on the wall and floor of an interview room.

Hoadley was transported to the hospital for his level of intoxication and his claim to have COVID-19. Pedigo did not specify if Hoadly was tested while at the hospital.

Hoadley was charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, disorderly conduct, resisting law enforcement and two counts of criminal mischief. He was booked into the Monroe County Correctional Center.