administration coronavirus

UPDATE: IU to reimburse students for housing, cancels move-outs between March 25 and April 7

cahousing031920

This story was updated at 8:05 p.m. March 23.

IU notified students March 17 they will receive a prorated reimbursement for the remainder of the semester after Provost Lauren Robel ordered all students move out of IU-affiliated housing in an email last Monday.

All student housing buildings closed to most students at noon Monday, and students won’t have access to their residence hall unless they schedule a move-out time, according to a IU Residential Programs and Services email. The email did not list a deadline to sign up for a move-out time. IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said no plans for other refunds, such as an adjustment in tuition, have been finalized yet.

RPS announced in a tweet March 23 afternoon that it has voided all move-out appointments for March 27 through April 7. This was in response to Gov. Eric Holcomb issuing a stay-at-home order March 23. In a tweet responding to a student, the organization said students can still move out March 23 and 24.

IU announced the rest of its semester will be online in a statement emailed to students March 15. This came amid increased reporting of COVID-19 cases across Indiana and attempts to slow the spread of the virus.

Carney said the university will reimburse students for the remainder of the semester, with the starting prorated date of March 20. Students who are billed monthly, such as Tulip Tree Apartment residents, might see a charge for next month’s payment because the system is automated. However, April rent will still be refunded, and late fees for any April bursar bills are also waived.

A reimbursement plan is also being worked out for the university meal plan, and more details will come out soon, Carney said. IU Dining will roll over 2019-20 meal points to the fall semester, which happens normally. RPS is also considering refunding students remaining funds from their meal plans.

“We're still working on that,” Carney said. “That's not been completely figured out yet.”

Students who are unable to return home or have no United States residence can petition to remain on campus, Carney said. Those students may be asked to move to a consolidated RPS location. All students would receive a refund if they move, and then they’ll be charged $20 a day for the rest of the semester.

Essential items, such as books, computers and medication, will be shipped to students via UPS at IU’s expense, according to the RPS email. Personal belongings can be shipped to students or packed and stored through IU-approved companies at the students’ expense. These companies are Guys and Dollies and Soft Touch Moving.

IU students will receive updates via email and the university’s coronavirus website, Carney said.