bloomington

Winter temperatures returning to Bloomington this week

Caweather020920.jpg

IU’s campus didn’t see much action throughout the day Sunday as the weather quickly changed from heavy snow to rain. People filed in and out of the Eskenazi Museum of Art and the IU Auditorium, leaving the weather behind for classical art and the soundtrack of Les Misérables.

Andrew White, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Indianapolis, Bloomington will see rain and cold temperatures, typical winter weather, this week after a short break of warm temperatures graced the city last week.

Sunday night will be met with heavy rain, with the potential to accumulate up to an inch, White said. The only other day this week with a chance of rain will be Wednesday, which has a 50% chance of rain and snow in the evening hours. 

Sophomore Anne Watkins’ day was dampened a bit by the change from snow to rain Sunday.

Watkins stood under a yellow and white striped umbrella at the bus stop at the Indiana Memorial Union after working on homework and visiting the art museum.

“It’s just great,” Watkins said sarcastically. “I did not expect to see rain today since it was snowing earlier.”

The temperatures this week are normal for this time of year, White said. The average high temperatures will be range from the high 30s to low 40s, and the average low temperature will be in the low 30s. The weekend will have temperatures in the 20s with lows in the teens. The typical high temperature for this time of year is 41 and the low is 22, White said.