Portion of 2020 WIUX Culture Shock Festival lineup revealed

entCultureShockbrief022420.jpg

WIUX announced seven of the acts performing for the 2020 WIUX Culture Shock Music Festival Sunday. Last year the lineup included 12 acts. 

The festival, which was started by IU’s student radio station in 1986, will highlight artists from locations such as Philadelphia, Chicago and Indianapolis.

The festival will take place April 18 in Dunn Meadow. Admission is free. 

The lineup this year will include: 

Leggy

Leggy is a lush punk and rock n’ roll trio comprised of guitarist Veronique Allaer, bassist Kirsten Bladh and drummer Chris Campbell. The band, that was formed in 2013 in Cincinnati, Ohio, released its album “Let Me Know Your Moon” in 2019 with twelve tracks.

Body Meat

Philadelphia-based singer-songwriter Christopher Taylor, also known as Body Meat, will also be featured. His latest album, “Truck Music,” released in 2019, included a combination of Nigerian vocals, video-game plinks and drums. The album has eight songs, written and produced by Taylor, such as “Combo” and "Metal Gear".

Bike Wreck

Bike Wreck, formed by IU undergraduates in 2018, will also be there. The band members first met their freshman year and showcased their punk-rock style in basements and bars around Bloomington. The band consists of bassist Thomas McGrew, drummer Mitch Marsh, and vocalist and guitarist Dyland Bodnarick. Its digital album, “Live from Brickhouse” consists of four songs and was recorded in May 2019.

Dana Skully and the Tiger Sharks 

Dana Skully and the Tiger Sharks are traveling from Indianapolis to perform their dream pop-punk music. The group, formed in 2012, performs frequently at Indianapolis venues, such as the Hoosier Dome. In 2019, the band released its six-song album “Whatevers 2009.” 

Sports Boyfriend 

Singer-songwriter Eileen Peltier began performing under the title Sports Boyfriend about six years ago, according to the music blog Half and Half website. According to the Chicago Tribune, Peltier’s inspiration for her original compositions comes from EDM and dance music. Sports Boyfriend has around 6,400 listeners on Spotify. Some of her tracks with the most views on the platform are “I Only Leave My House to Dance with You” with 39,602 plays and “Fear of God” with 36,151 plays. 

Clint Breeze and the Groove

Hip-hop and rap group Clint Breeze and the Groove will also be in attendance. In 2016, Breeze released the album “Nappy Head,” which discussed the socio-political climate of black America. The group performed in one of  WFYI’s Small Studio Sessions in 2017. 

Kay Krull

Bloomington-based folk singer-songwriter Kay Krull released her latest EP, “Swimming Instead,” in May 2017. She has performed in venues such as Blockhouse Bar and the Orbit Room.