crime & courts

Papa John’s delivery driver’s car stolen

A pizza delivery driver’s car was stolen late Tuesday from the Papa John’s Pizza on 415 N. Walnut St. after the man went inside to pick up his next order. 

Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo said the man returned from a delivery and left his car unlocked on the west side of the building. The car was reported stolen around 9:30 p.m.

In an interview with the Indiana Daily Student, the driver, Jacob Branam, said he left his keys in the cupholder of his car. He said he was inside the restaurant for about 10 minutes to pick up his next order and returned to find his car missing.

“I’m a delivery driver and my whole life consists on me driving my vehicle for work,” Branam said.

The car was a green 2001 Jeep Cherokee with gray bumpers. Branam said he was surprised someone would steal his car in its condition.

“I never thought anyone would steal a Jeep that sounds like it’s about to explode,” he said.

Branam said he left his cell phone, smart watches and more than $500 worth of tools in the car. He said the restaurant is trying to access security camera footage of the area outside the store.

BPD is investigating the case.