administration

IU's Ostrom Workshop appoints new executive director

shackelford.jpg

Scott Shackelford was named the new executive director of the Ostrom Workshop at IU on Feb. 3, according to an IU press release.

"Going forward, Scott will be an outstanding fit for this important leadership role, and we could not be more pleased to have him at the helm to further elevate the stature of the Ostrom Workshop and foster its growing research agenda,” said Jeff Zaleski, interim vice provost for research at IU-Bloomington, in the press release. 

The Ostrom Workshop was founded in 1973 by political scientists Elinor and Vincent Ostrom. The program focuses on how the government works at each level and how it can be changed to positively affect the well-being of citizens, promote democratic principles and improve sustainability, according to the Ostrom Workshop website.

The workshop now has more than 650 affiliates worldwide that collaborate with the workshop to build on the theme of governance to address societal problems.

Shackelford has served as the acting director of the workshop since 2019. He was also the director of the workshop’s program on cybersecurity and internet governance, according to the release.

Former executive director Lee Alston, an economics professor at IU, will return to teaching after leading the workshop for five years.

"We're deeply grateful to Lee Alston for his past leadership and service," Zaleski said in the press release. 

In the press release, Shackelford said he is honored to serve as the new executive director of the workshop.

"Together with the amazing staff, program directors and many wonderful faculty affiliates, I'm looking forward to this exciting new chapter of the workshop's storied history in which we will build from our strengths while continuing to push the frontiers of governance research, and in so doing, hopefully help create a more sustainable, and peaceful, future for all,” he said.