news   |   sports   |   crime & courts

IU tight end Peyton Hendershot arrested on domestic battery charges

spiufbcops022320

Redshirt sophomore tight end Peyton Hendershot poses for a photo. Hendershot was arrested Feb. 22 on multiple charges including domestic battery. Photo courtesy of IU Athletics

Redshirt sophomore tight end Peyton Hendershot was arrested Saturday night on multiple charges including domestic battery.

Hendershot, who is 20, allegedly assaulted a 22-year-old woman who reported they were previously in a relationship, according to a press release from Bloomington Police Department.

The woman told police Hendershot sent her several angry texts accusing her of infidelity before walking into her apartment uninvited around 11 p.m., according to the release.

Hendershot allegedly then took her phone from her hand and walked around the apartment looking at it. The woman told police when she tried to retrieve her phone from 6-foot-4 Hendershot by jumping and grabbing it, he grabbed her by the neck and shoved her against the wall. Officers noticed redness on her neck when they arrived.

Hendershot reportedly threw her phone on the ground before leaving the apartment. The woman picked up her cracked phone and called the police, according to the press release. 

Hendershot was arrested at his home and charged with felony residential entry and misdemeanor domestic battery, criminal conversion and criminal mischief.

Because he faces domestic battery charges, Hendershot was placed on a 24-hour hold at the Monroe County Correctional Center.

IU Athletics released a statement Sunday on the incident.

"Indiana University Athletics is aware of the arrest of redshirt sophomore Peyton Hendershot," it read. "IU Athletics will continue to gather facts, cooperate with and monitor the legal and administrative processes, and take further action as the evolving situation warrants.”

More in News

More in Sports