Eskenazi Museum of Art to introduce new exhibits this spring

entEskanaziannouncementbrief021820.jpg

The Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Museum of Art will present three new exhibitions beginning in late March.

“Facing the Revolution: Portraits of Women in France and the United States” centers on the portraiture of women from 1775-1835. The exhibit features a group of portraits by French and American artists, rendered through the lens of the moments of the French and American Revolutions from the perspectives of women. An online publication will accompany the exhibit, providing viewers with more details on the portraits.

Galina Olmsted, assistant curator of European and American art, said that although women weren’t actively involved in the politics of these revolutions, their lives were still changed.

“Portraiture is sensitive to new ways of presenting the self,” Olmsted said. “Women were trying to create a lasting image of themselves during a time of uncertainty.”

“Living Treasure: Fabulous Follies” explores the intersection of contemporary and ancient jewelry by goldsmith Robert Baines. Baines, a specialist in ancient jewelry, focuses on the way that jewelry changes over time. His work emphasizes sequencing, telling a chronological story.  

Juliet Graver Istrabadi, curator of ancient art, said that Baines’ art is curated carefully to challenge his audiences. Graver Istrabadi likens the exhibit to the children’s game of “telephone,” beginning with his art as something that is changed and interpreted differently as it is passed, or viewed, from person to person. 

“He asks more questions in his exhibition than what he answers,” Graver said. “It makes for a wonderful dialogue with the audience.”

The third exhibition this spring will be “House of the Singing Winds” which will mark the reveal of a new multimedia installation at the museum. The three-wall gallery will be an immersive, interactive exhibit for video and film artists to showcase their work in a high resolution projection. 

Arthur Liou, Herman B Wells endowed professor of digital art, will present a video inspired by the work of Indiana painter Theodore Clement "T.C." Steele. The filming took place at Steele’s house in Brown County over the past year, capturing the changes throughout the four seasons. The film features a voiceover inspired by the writings of Selma Steele, Theodore’s wife. 

Liou said he was inspired by the context of Steele’s life in Brown County, Indiana, an area that was bare and isolated before Steele’s arrival. He said the bicentennial celebrations presented the perfect time to celebrate the history of Steele’s life and work.

Liou, who has lived in Bloomington for over 20 years, said this history is important to him, and now seemed like the right time to celebrate it.

“This year, the bicentennial is a look back on Indiana’s history,” Liou said. “Going to film this now was a natural choice for me.”

“Facing the Revolution” and “Living Treasures” will open March 25 and are free to the public. “House of the Singing Winds” is set to premiere March 5 at the museum.