Tom Petty cover band Southern Accents to play at the Bluebird Saturday

entsouthernaccents012120

Southern Accents, a Tom Petty cover band, will perform at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Bluebird. IDS file photo

Local Tom Petty fans who may have missed their chance to see the singer live can now experience a close replication of what his concerts were like. Southern Accents, a Tom Petty cover band, will perform at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Bluebird.

Southern Accents, named for the 1985 Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers album, is a Nashville-based band that has been together for three years. The group is known for recreating Petty’s live performances, according to the band’s website. 

Lead vocalist Ronnie Gregg’s long hair, sunglasses and top hat aren’t the only symbols that match Petty – he also performs with similar mannerisms. Backing him are five other musicians who embody the sound of Petty’s band, The Heartbreakers.

“The depth of the care and effort that Southern Accents put into their stage presence and matching Petty’s moves and music separates them far from any other tribute band out there,” according to the band’s website. “They play it like it was their very own while showing respect to its original creator.”

The band’s setlist features more than 40 of Petty’s songs, ranging from more obscure album tracks to hits like “American Girl” and “Free Fallin.’”

According to a press release on the band’s website, concertgoers can expect an engaging and maybe even emotional experience.

“A typical Southern Accents show will have audiences singing along and probably shedding a tear or two — out of joy, for sure, and also out of reverence for the dearly departed, one of the greatest American artists of all time,” according to the press release.

Tickets can be purchased for $10 at the door or on the Bluebird's website. Attendees must be 21 or older.

More in Arts