student life bloomington

Campus crime falls as students leave for break

cabreakcrime011220.jpg

Police cars race down Jordan Avenue while students walk to class. After finals, the campus falls quiet. 

Indiana University Police Department saw crime dip in certain categories with students away from campus for winter break. 

According to IUPD Deputy Chief Shannon Bunger, the police department had 55 calls related to marijuana use in October, which had a single day of break. This dropped to 22 in December, which had 12 days of break.  

“Most runs are to dorms,” Bunger said. “If we don’t have anyone in McNutt quad, it is less likely we will receive a call from there.”

There were 15 calls for disturbances, such as noise complaints and fights in October and only 9 in December. October had 15 alcohol-related calls which dropped to 5 in December. 

IUPD has jurisdiction over any university-owned property, including fraternities and sororities, and surrounding streets, according to the department's website.

Anthony McGruder, the assistant manager of the Village Pantry on Third St. and Jordan Avenue said he hasn’t witnessed any crimes within the store except for underage people attempting to buy alcohol with false identification. 

McGruder said that he noticed a big decrease in the number of customers coming in over break. 

Freshman Evan Meinerding is a part of the IU Marching 100 and had to stay on campus for part of his Thanksgiving and winter break because of the band practices.

He said that even though students had left for winter break and the campus felt empty, he still noticed the police presence in Bloomington. 

“I was woken up by sirens the nights that I was staying,” Meinerding said. 

He said that the sirens felt normal and made Bloomington feel like home.