arts   |   jacobs school of music

Students given opportunity to lunch with Minnesota Orchestra

entminnesotaorchlunch011620

The outside of the IU Auditorium is seen Jan. 9 in the Fine Arts Plaza. The Minnesota Orchestra will visit the auditorium Jan. 22 to have lunch with members of the Hutton Honors College and The Jacobs School of Music Project Jumpstart, a student leadership team for Jacobs students. Izzy Myszak

The Hutton Honors College and the Jacobs School of Music Project Jumpstart will provide a lunch with members of the Minnesota Orchestra at 11:15 a.m. Wednesday in the IU Auditorium lobby.

Honors students, students in the arts administration class and members of Project Jumpstart, a student leadership team at the music school, are eligible to attend this free event. The first 85 students to RSVP will eat lunch and talk with three musicians and three staff members of the Grammy Award-winning orchestra.

The Minnesota Orchestra was formed in 1903 and performs about 150 concerts around the world each year to audiences of more than 300,000 people, according to its website. Seven IU alumni currently perform with the group.

Shannon Regan, educational outreach specialist for the IU Auditorium, said part of the auditorium’s mission is to provide opportunities like this one for students.

“We don’t have a lot of chances to meet a ton of performing people in Bloomington,” Regan said. “This is an opportunity to educate students.”

Reservations for the lunch will close 8 a.m. Monday.

More in Arts