business & economy bloomington

Lucky’s Market prepares to close its doors

Caluckys012820.jpg

Inside Lucky’s Market are empty coffee bean and tea dispensers, bare aisles of hard liquor and deli coolers stripped down to expensive cheese wheels. Not much is left two weeks before the store's doors close permanently.

After less than five years of business in Bloomington, the Lucky’s Market at 2424 S. Walnut St. is officially closing Feb. 12, according to an article from Indiana Public Media. The store filed for bankruptcy protection Jan. 27 and will close more than 30 locations across the country, including its only store in Indiana. The store has agreed to sell six of its stores to grocery chain Aldi and five stores to grocery chain Publix.

According to the Indiana Public Media article, Lucky's will continue to operate seven stores across the country, including in Michigan, Ohio and Florida.

The Bloomington store falls under the Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection sale, according to bankruptcy documents filed Monday. Eight requests for comment were not returned to the Indiana Daily Student by Tuesday.

Bloomington resident Greg Leaman, 42, said other stores in Bloomington don’t have the same items Lucky’s Market has. He said his girlfriend likes Scholar’s Inn sesame bagels but is unable to find them anywhere but Lucky’s. Leaman said they have enjoyed living near Lucky’s.

“It has been nice having a place close by where we can quickly stop and get an easy dinner for the evening,” Leaman said.

According to the Lucky’s Market website, the store often partners and supports local vendors and organizations.

The Community Kitchen of Monroe County has partnered with Lucky’s to help fund its Backpack Buddies program in the past. Vicki Pierce, executive director of Community Kitchen, said although Lucky’s was a great partner, the store's closure won’t directly affect the program. The store supported the kitchen once or twice a year by giving the organization 10% of the profit from Lucky’s brand item sales.

“They were very communicative and easy to work with,” Pierce said.

The store is having large deals until it closes in February, including two for one and buy one, get one free deals. Its hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., according to the Lucky’s Market Bloomington Facebook page. Checks will not be accepted.