Bicentennial arts exhibits

Fine arts department presents New + Next exhibit

entNewandNextpreview011420.jpg

The New + Next art exhibition is a celebration of the 125th anniversary of the School of Art, Architecture + Design.

The exhibition, which features work from the fine arts faculty, will have an opening reception from 6 to 8 p.m. on Jan. 17 and will be open noon to 4 p.m. through March 5 at Grunwald Gallery in the Fine Arts Building. 

Elizabeth Stirratt, director of the gallery, said the gallery usually displays the faculty’s artwork every two years. This year will be a special exhibition from the new faculty because the exhibit coincides with the IU Bicentennial and will feature artwork such as fashion design and architecture.

“It proves the longevity of this school is important to the development of IU,” Stirratt said. “We’re one of the oldest art departments in the country so we have a long venerable history that needs to be celebrated."

The exhibit over 40 pieces created by faculty members. One piece of artwork in the exhibit is by Malcolm Mobutu Smith, a ceramic artist whose artwork refers to functional property such as plates, vases and pots. 

“His inspiration comes from clouds, jazz and improvisation,” Stirratt said

Stirratt said the fine arts department originally focused on fine arts but now consists of 14 different art areas including painting and ceramics.

“It’s kind of an exciting unveiling of those visual artworks that are kind of new to us,” Stirratt said. “Our school has been redesigned into a new entity, and this is our kind of way of celebrating that.”