arts food

Cooking with less cash: 3 budget recipes for college students

specBudgetmealssp2020.jpg

If you are a college student who has managed to carve out enough time in your schedule to prepare three meals a day for yourself while sticking to a budget, my hat is off to you. For everyone else, the temptation of ordering in or picking up another pizza can be too difficult to resist as you stare at that continually growing mountain of homework..

Here is a list of recipes for a healthy breakfast, a pasta dish for lunch or dinner and a cookie recipe for desert. All these recipes involve little effort, minimal equipment and are likely less expensive than any dinner you can have delivered. 

A basic breakfast sandwich (includes a life hack on cooking eggs)

Estimated time: 5 minutes 

1 Serving

For this recipe you will need a coffee mug, a fork, a microwave and something to assemble your sandwich on such as a plate or paper towel.

Ingredients:

1 bagel or English muffin

2 eggs

1 slice of cheese

Any other toppings (ex: bacon, peppers, turkey, spinach) 

Directions: 

Toast the bagel or English muffin. This first step is optional.

Crack the egg into a coffee mug and scramble it with fork. This will cook the egg in a circular shape to fit perfectly on your bagel or English muffin. Microwave the egg in the mug for about 30 to 60 seconds. If the egg is still runny, microwave it for longer. 

Put the cheese on top of the cooked egg and sandwich them in the middle of the bagel or English muffin and add any other toppings you wish to include. 

Garlic cherry tomato pasta

Estimated time: 25 minutes

4 Servings

For this recipe you will need a pot, pan, pasta strainer, sharp knife, stirring spoon and stove.

Ingredients:

1 pound of pasta (whichever noodles you prefer)

5 garlic cloves

1 package of cherry tomatoes

5 tablespoons of butter

Directions:

First, crush the five garlic cloves with the knife.

Add water and salt to your pot and set it on the stove to boil. When the water has begun to boil, add your pasta. 

In a separate pan, add a tablespoon of butter and the crushed garlic cloves. Cook the butter and garlic until the butter melts and the garlic begins to soften. Add package of cherry tomatoes to the garlic and butter and let them continue to cook on the stove.

Once the pasta is al dente, pour about a cup of the pasta water into the pan containing the garlic and tomatoes. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to this pan and stir to make your sauce.

Drain the remaining water in the pasta pot and combine the pasta with the sauce.

Gluten-free peanut butter cookie recipe

Estimated time: 20 minutes

Makes 30 cookies

For this recipe you will need a mixing bowl, either a hand mixer or a spoon, a cookie tray and an oven.

Ingredients:

1 cup peanut butter (non-organic)

2 cup of sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon of vanilla (optional)

Hershey kisses (optional)

Directions:

Begin by preheating your oven to 375 F. 

Combine the peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, the egg and vanilla –if you decide to use it– in a bowl to make the dough. Roll the dough into golf ball sized balls.

Place the remaining cup of sugar into a small bowl and roll the dough balls in this sugar to cover them. You can also add the Hershey kiss on the top of each cookie before putting it in the oven if you would like.

Set the dough balls on a baking sheet and flatten by pushing a fork into them vertically and horizontally and bake for 7 to 8 minutes.