bloomington

City of Bloomington kicks off Black History Month with speaker, music

Cabhmspeech013020.jpg

The City of Bloomington kicked off Black History Month on Tuesday night at City Hall with musical performances and a keynote speaker celebrating the month’s theme of “black and blooming."

Keynote speaker Dr. Gerald Onuoha II spoke about the strides the Bloomington community has made, the history of black people in the U.S. and his personal story. Onuoha said that he is proud of the city, but there is still work to be done in the community. He said change can start with individuals.

“Bloomington has such a rich history, a rich black history,” Onuoha said. 

Onuoha told his personal story, including how he dropped out of high school in tenth grade but was eventually able to earn a doctorate in medicine at Meharry Medical College and become a board-certified internal medicine physician.

“The only difference between me and that young boy was that I was given a chance,” Onuoha said. 

Onuoha finished his speech by sharing his three steps to fighting oppression. This included fighting for justice for all people, committing to learning different perspectives and being an example to others to achieve more. 

“I liked when he told all of us to keep fighting,” attendee Jolene Wright said.

Wright said she attends the event every year.

Before Onuoha spoke, singer Tislam Swift asked the crowd to sing the song “Lift Every Voice and Sing”. He was later joined by three other singers to perform an a capella version of “Just You”.

Beverly Calender-Anderson, Bloomington director of community and family resources, then introduced Jennifer Crossley, the recipient of the 2020 Visionary Leader Award. She is chair of the Monroe County Democratic party and is the first black person to hold this office.

“I have no words,” Crossley said. “This really means a lot coming from my community.”

This event was the first of more than 20 events taking place in February, including a variety of speakers and film screenings. The Black History Month Gala is the last event of the month at 6 p.m. Feb. 29 at One World at Woolery Mill. A full list of events can be found here.