administration student life

IMU restaurants closing next semester for renovation

caimu121019.jpg

The majority of the restaurants in the Indiana Memorial Union will be closed starting this month due to a large-scale renovation project focused on the dining area in the IMU.

Retail manager Tyler Hardin said January 2021 is the goal date for the restaurants to reopen.

Hoosier Homestyle, Green Leaf, B-town Pizza, Sakura Sushi and Hot Bowl, The Globe, Sugar and Spice and Chocolate Moose are all scheduled to close starting Dec. 14. Crimson Grill has been closed since Dec. 7, said Pam Sprong, director of marketing at auxiliary business services.

Sugar and Spice and Chocolate Moose will be the first to reopen, most likely in fall 2020, Sprong said.

“I know it might be a hardship on some people, but it’s also something that’s needed to happen for a while,” Hardin said. “I think the end outcome is going to justify the process it takes to get there.”

Hardin said the dining area in the IMU will look completely different after the renovation. He said the space will be more open.

The renovation will not only change the layout of the food area in the IMU, but the restaurant concepts will be new as well.

“We’re still going to have a burger concept, still going to have a pizza concept and Sugar and Spice is still going to be big, but there are going to be some changes and I believe they’re all for the better,” Hardin said.

While the renovation occurs, the IMU will be offering additional services to make up for the restaurants closing.

Hardin said Grab and Go items will be available in the Union Market. He also said the Circle Cafe is expanding its menu to mirror Green Leaf and will be open later in the evening.