The pros and cons of subleasing

SubLease.jpg

For various reasons, many students may not be on-campus for an entire year. Some could be involved in sports that may lead to being off-campus for a semester or some could be studying abroad or simply not living in a house. 

Junior Rachana Adusumalli is majoring in Finance and Business Analytics and is studying abroad in Budapest in spring 2020. Living at Evolve, there is a $350 sublease fee, whereas the tenant who leases from Adusumalli will have to pay $200. Some students try to negotiate the price with the person who is subleasing, one solution being a 70-30 system where the person staying over the summer pays most while the person who is subleasing pays some. 

Junior Claire Risley, a public management major, subleased over the summer from one of her sorority sisters. She didn’t know where she was going to live, but she finally found out that her sorority and biological sister also wanted to sublease, so it ended up working out. 

“The benefit to sublease this summer was that I didn’t have to pay any extra to live here over the summer, but if it’s not a relative it’s still a good option,” Risley said. “You can get a lower price if they really need a sublease so it can be a good deal.”

Many students sublease over the summer as well, especially those who are not staying in Bloomington and don’t want to pay the full rent for three months. Living over the summer can be difficult, given that sometimes the tenant themselves will leave their belongings and furniture over the summer. Anne McCarthy, a sophomore majoring in linguistics, doesn’t mind that they may leave their personal belongings over the summer. 

“The person I subleased from left all her stuff, making me bring down less stuff for the summer,” McCarthy said.

This may cause confusion and irritation among those subleasing who sometimes don’t have enough space or room for three months. 

There is no perfect experience when it comes to subleasing or being a sublet, but there are pros and cons to it. Here are some examples of both. 

Pros of finding a sublet:

• Sometimes there is cheaper rent because many are desperate for living and willing to negotiate prices.

• Typically available last minute since people are always looking to sublease, especially in study abroad scenarios.

Cons of finding a sublet:

• You might have to live with people you don’t know.

• You typically don’t have control over the lease.

Pros of wanting to sublet:

• You can leave your belongings in your house or apartment.

• You don’t have to pay direct rent for the months you are not living in Bloomington.

Cons of wanting to sublet:

• It costs extra to sublet in most places, but you need to talk with your leasing office to know for sure.

• Not many people know about subleasing, therefore getting a subleaser can be difficult.