IDS Connect

Senior Lydia Gerike named spring 2020 editor-in-chief 

IMG_3010.jpeg

The IU Student Media Publications Board appointed the next editor-in-chief of the Indiana Daily Student Friday, November 8. 

Lydia Gerike, a senior from Portage, Indiana, has been named editor-in-chief of the IDS for the spring 2020 semester. 

“I’m so passionate about pushing the IDS to be a cutting edge, competitive place,” Gerike said in her application. 

Gerike has worked in many different roles for the IDS since 2016 as a politics reporter, features reporter, copy editor, news editor, investigative editor and managing editor. She has many ideas for the new semester focusing on digital-reporting integration, breaking news and newsroom culture. 

With her experience in analyzing search engine optimization, Google Analytics and other metrics data she plans on encouraging young reporters and editors to think about digital tools as methods for storytelling.

Gerike wants the IDS staff to be in a space where they feel their ideas for improvement are safe and would like to bring the editors, reporters and desks even closer together this upcoming semester. 

The IU Student Media Publications Board is made up of professional journalists, professors and current IDS staff members. On Friday, the board conducted a public interview with each editor-in-chief candidate.

About The Indiana Daily Student

The Indiana Daily Student is an independent, student-run newspaper that has been published for the community for more than 150 years. For more information about The Indiana Daily Student, visit idsnews.com. Follow us on social media:

Twitter: @idsnews and @IDSPR,

Instagram: @idsnews

or Facebook.

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Taylor Newton or Lauren Fischer

pr@idsnews.com