OPINION: Colts’ season seems lost after performance against Dolphins

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Jacoby Brissett throws the ball Oct. 27 against the Denver Broncos at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Two weeks ago, the Colts were 5-2 and looked like a team poised for a strong playoff push. Heading into week nine, they were riding a three-game win streak into Pittsburgh before facing a 3-4 Steelers team and ultimately squandered an opportunity to stamp a huge exclamation point on an impressive first half of their season. 

Through mistakes and starting quarterback Jacoby Brissett going down to a knee injury, the Colts somehow found themselves in a position to win the game down 26-24 with less than two minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. 

In comes Adam Vinatieri. 

Lined up right in the middle of the field, from 43 yards out, Vinatieri stepped up and shanked it left. Long-snapper Luke Rhodes and holder Rigoberto Sanchez are responsible for the laces facing toward their kicker, but from 43 yards out — in crunch time — I don’t care if Vinatieri is kicking it blindfolded. Considering his track record, I expect that one to go through the uprights. 

Realistically, the Colts were a couple missed field goals from being 7-1 in the first half of the season. Vinatieri shooting the Colts in the foot is something I never thought I’d see, but that’s exactly what’s happening. This season has the feeling of a really ugly farewell tour for the 46-year-old veteran. 

But even with the kicking troubles and an injured starting quarterback, there was a big, dolphin-shaped glimmer of light shining down on Indianapolis. Up next for the Colts would be the 1-7 Miami Dolphins, who went into the game allowing a whopping 32 points per game, good for dead last in the NFL. 

Once again, the Colts dropped the ball and put up just 12 points at home against the worst defense in the NFL. I understand that Brian Hoyer is a backup, but if he can’t do better than completing 18 of his 39 passes against a team that has looked like it’s trying to lose all season, then he shouldn’t be in the game. 

The Colts’ offense looked pathetic. 

That being said, placing blame on any one part of this team for the Dolphins loss would imply that the rest of the team was better, and I simply can’t do that. 

After wins against the Chiefs and Texans, the Colts proved that they are capable of beating good opponents under the right circumstances.  An average roster and a good starting quarterback made them look like real contenders.

However, the last two games have proven that any faith in the Colts moving forward would be misplaced. 

In typical Colts fashion, they’ll probably do the exact opposite of what I think they will, but this team doesn’t look capable of making any sort of run in the playoffs. 

This season looks like a wash.