bloomington

Volunteers Needed for Monroe Lake Shoreline Cleanup Oct. 6

camonroelake100119.jpg

As summer activities on the lake wind down, the season’s trash and fishing materials accumulate along the shoreline at Monroe Lake. Plastic bags, abandoned fishing lines and discarded pool floats wash ashore after students and other visitors boat and fish at the lake.

“For our wildlife, they have to live in that,” interpretive naturalist Jill Vance said. “One of the biggest threats for our wildlife, as far as trash goes, is things like abandoned fishing lines and hooks.”

Vance works to interpret natural and cultural history at Monroe Lake for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

Monroe Lake will organize its seventh annual shoreline cleanup from 1:30-5:30 p.m. Sunday. The initiative is seeking students and Bloomington community members to help in the clean-up process.

Vance said it is important to restore the shoreline’s clean habitat because the trash is harmful to both people and wildlife. 

“We get broken glass in the shoreline and accumulation of plastic materials that basically never disintegrate,” Vance said. 

Boats will transport volunteers to reach different areas of the shoreline. Gloves and trash bags will be provided. There will also be a free cookout afterwards for all volunteers.

The deadline to register is Oct. 4.