crime & courts

UPDATED: Parking meters vandalized around Monroe County Courthouse square

cavandalize102319.jpg

A Bloomington Parking Enforcement officer discovered Wednesday morning that around 77 parking meters near the Monroe County Courthouse were vandalized with green and pink spray paint.

The Bloomington Police Department responded to a vandalism call near the courthouse at around 8:45 a.m. Wednesday, Capt. Ryan Pedigo said. The Bloomington Parking Enforcement officer arrived on the scene to find the parking meters vandalized.

Pedigo said every meter around the square was spray painted on both sides with green and pink spray paint, and hard foam was sprayed into the coin slots on the machines to prevent coins from being put in. 

The meters targeted were located on Walnut Street, Kirkwood Avenue, Sixth Street and College Avenue.

BPD has no suspect information, but Pedigo said the department is looking through security camera footage from nearby businesses on the square for possible leads.

Updated at 5:18 p.m. Oct. 23

Pedigo confirmed in a Wednesday afternoon press release that 125 parking meters around the Monroe County Courthouse square and nearby downtown streets had been vandalized. The damage is estimated to cost $5,000.

Replacement parts for the meters have been ordered and are being shipped overnight to expedite the repair process, Pedigo said in the release. People can still park in spots with damaged meters by using the ParkMobile app for payments. Those who park in spaces with damaged meters and who do not use the app will not be ticketed, Pedigo confirmed in an email.