Movies set to hit the IU Cinema screen this October

film filler.jpg

The IU Cinema will feature more than 30 events throughout the month of October, beginning Thursday and continuing until Halloween. These events include recent Hollywood blockbusters, acclaimed international films and interviews with filmmakers.

The cinema is kicking off the month with a showcase of some of Hollywood’s most acclaimed recent action movies including “Mad Max: Fury Road” and “Black Panther.” Both films were nominated for Academy Awards, with “Black Panther” winning awards for Best Original Score, Best Production Design and Best Costume Design.

The film’s costume designer, Ruth Carter, will attend the “Black Panther” screening at 3 p.m. Saturday. The showing for “Mad Max” will be at 10 p.m. Friday, and both films will cost $4.

“I love ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ for so many reasons, from Charlize Theron's outstanding performance as Imperator Furiosa to the masterful live-action stunt sequences and richly filmed desert landscapes,” Caitlyn Stevens, IU Cinema social media specialist, marketing and engagement assistant, said.

The editor, Margaret Sixel, had never cut an action film before, which is why the director, also her husband, chose her. Sixel eventually won the 2016 Oscar for Best Film Editing.

The film “My Annie Hall” will screen at the cinema at 7 p.m. Thursday for free. The film’s directors Ellie Sachs and Matt Starr, both IU alumni, will attend. Following the screening, the directors will take the stage to discuss the film and their other creative projects. The movie follows young artists finding their way through the competitive scene of New York City."My Annie Hall" will be included in October's First Thursdays.

“For these events, IU Cinema tries to develop programs which will interest students,” Jon Vickers, founding director of the IU Cinema, said in an email.  

The documentary “Robin Williams: Come Inside my Mind” will screen at 7 p.m. Oct. 22. The film, which is curated by Bernice Pescosolido of the Indiana Consortium for Mental Health Services Research, will feature Zak Williams, Robin Williams' son. Tickets will be free for this showing.

To celebrate Halloween, the IU Cinema will screen the classic monster movies “The Mummy” and “The Wolf Man” back to back at 7 p.m. Oct. 31. The showing will be curated and programmed by associate director of the IU Cinema Brittany Friesner, and tickets will cost $4.

Additional information regarding these showings and more is available on the IU Cinema website. Tickets are available for these showings online, at the IU Auditorium Box Office or in the IU Cinema Lobby an hour before each showing.