arts jacobs school of music performances

IU symphony orchestra to perform with guest conductor Andrew Altenbach

entbrass101319.jpg

The IU Jacobs School of Music Symphony Orchestra will perform its fall concert at 8 p.m. Oct. 16 in the Musical Arts Center. The ensemble will be performing Mikhail Glinka’s “Ruslan and Lyudmila,” Anna Clyne’s “This Midnight Hour” and Edward Elgar’s “Variations on an Original Theme (Enigma).”

Clyne’s piece is particularly interesting because it was published in 2015, making it the most recent out of the selections. 

“I really like modern pieces,” freshman Mathew Lee said. “I get more emotions from it. I connect to it more.”

Lee, a violist in the ensemble shared how he, in particular, believed the composition of the piece to be diverse. 

“All of it is very interesting,” Lee said. “There are different (musical) lines more so than regular pieces that people are more accustomed to. It’s well-rounded with all the different instruments.”

As for the other selections, Glinka was a prominent Russian composer from the early to mid-1800s, while Elgar was an English composer from the Romantic era. 

Andrew Altenbach, who has worked with a variety of university and professional orchestras, will be guest conducting the performance. Among prestigious orchestras, Altenbach has also worked with the Jacobs Opera Theater and was previously the principal guest conductor of the Bloomington Symphony Orchestra. 

Altenbach has been with the group during rehearsals for the past week and a half. This is about a standard length of time to be working on concert repertoire like this, Lee said. He explained that rehearsal times had not been affected by other classes’ midterm exams, but there was more stress. 

The event is open to the public and will be the second full-length performance from the Symphony Orchestra this semester.