arts community events

Feeling spooky? Here's some Bloomington events happening this Halloween weekend

entspooky102219.jpg

Now that we are finally experiencing fall weather just in time for Halloween, here are a few things to do this weekend to get into the spooky spirit.

Thursday, Oct. 24

Dennis James Hosts Halloween:

Dennis James, an IU alum and world-renowned cinema organist, returns to IU on Oct. 24 to accompany the silent film, “The Lost World,” with IU Auditorium’s 4,543-pipe organ. The show begins at 7 p.m., but arrive early for a chance to walk across the stage during the costume contest. Student tickets start at $7, and adult tickets start at $14.

Free screening of the film “Hereditary”:

To continue the spooky spirits, the IU Union Board will present a screening of the film “Hereditary” at 8 p.m. Oct. 24 in the IMU Whittenberger Auditorium. This event is free to all attendees.

Friday Oct. 25

Festival of Ghost Stories:

This festival has been sharing Halloween horrors in Bloomington for more than 35 years. Experienced storytellers will be narrating spooky tales in the darkness from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 25 at Bryan Park. In the event of rain, the storytelling will take place at the Monroe County Public Library Auditorium.

Halloween Game Night:

Attendees can celebrate Halloween with the Game Design Student Alliance Team from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m Oct. 25. at the IU Center of Excellence for Women in Technology House, located at 501 N. Park Ave. Pizza. The event will provide seasonal board games and video game, and costumes are encouraged but not required. Those who attend the event will receive a ticket to reserve a time for a free headshot from the CEWiT and can RSVP here.

Face the Creatures of the Night: VR Horror with Spruce Library:

Attendees can try to survive the night while they play Resident Evil 7 virtual reality from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Oct. 25 at the Spruce Library. Learn about books, games and DVDs that the library offers while munching on sandwiches and snacks. 

Nitemare House:

If you still need more scares, join the Union Board as it hosts a “spooktacular” haunted house as part of its Late Nite events from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Oct. 25 at the Maxwell House. Do you think you have what it takes to get through the whole house? 

Free Screening of “Us”

The Union Board will be screening the film “Us” at the IMU Whittenberger Auditorium at 8 p.m. Oct. 25 and 26, as well as at 2 p.m. Oct. 27. Students, faculty and staff are free with their Crimson Card, and tickets for non-IU attendees are $2.

Saturday Oct. 26

Cardinal Stage presents: “The Rocky Horror Picture Show:”

The Buskirk-Chumley Theater will screen the cult-classic film two times Oct. 26. Tickets for the 8 p.m. show are $15, and the midnight show tickets are $20. There will be a pre-show event and costume contest 30 minutes before each screening, hosted by drag queen and cosplayer Oriana Peron. The costume contest costs $5, which will be collected right before the contest.

Thursday Oct. 31

IU Cinema Double Feature:

You can end spooky season with a Halloween double feature at the IU Cinema Oct. 31, featuring “The Mummy” and “The Wolf Man." The event begins at 7 p.m., and tickets are $4.