arts community events performances

Third year of Midway music festival to feature 30 artists 

generic arts filler.jpg

MidWay Music Speaks’ third annual festival will occur Oct. 5 and feature only women and non-binary artists. 

“The festival circuit in particular is notorious for overbooking acts that feature men only, giving women minimal stage time to perform,” according to the festival's press release. 

According to the press release, large music festivals have a typical lineup of 80% men-only acts, 15% coed acts and 5% women-identifying only acts. 

The day, which will feature over 30 acts, will kick off with shows at an outdoor stage on Sixth Street, which is free and open to all ages. Other venues /during the day include Landlocked Music and the Orbit Room.

The Orbit Room is 21 and up.

The headliners will start performing at 4 p.m. at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The event is expected to last four hours. 

Another stage will be at the Blockhouse Bar. The doors will open at 7 p.m. and the show will be open to 21 and up only. The line-up will include Counterfeit Madison, Erin Tobey, Amy O, WhiteMoms, Leggy, Plateau Below and DJ Duck Trash. 

At the Bishop Bar, doors will open at 9:45 p.m. for an 18-and-up show. The line-up includes Elisabeth Moss, Grace Minnick, Byrne Bridges, Wife Patrol and Better Weather. 

The festival wristband will also serve as admission to the afterparty at the Back Door at midnight, which will feature DJ MADDOG and DJ Pixie. Non-pass holders can pay $5 at the door since there are no advance sales for this venue. 

A portion of ticket sales will be donated to Project Pink Bloc.

Advance tickets for the festival are on sale now until Oct. 4 for $30 and $35 on festival day at each venue's door. 

If you don’t want an individual pass, tickets for individual shows at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, the Blockhouse Bar or the Bishop Bar can be purchased