Opportunity awaits IU football in first true road game at No. 25 Michigan State

Spiufbfeature091719

A new offensive coordinator and a switch at quarterback sparked talks of change. IU football has not been to a bowl game since 2016, but several returning players said that would change in due time. 

“The confidence is still there," junior receiver Ty Fryfogle said. "We can’t just dwell on that one loss we had so far."

The Hoosiers concluded their nonconference schedule and find themselves halfway to a bowl-eligible six wins. If IU expects to make it back to a bowl game, it needs to adjust to lining up against Big Ten competition each week, and it all starts this Saturday on the road against No. 25 Michigan State.

“These are tough games; these are hard-nose games against a very good in-conference opponent on our side of the league,” IU defensive coordinator Kane Wommack said. “When you’re going into an environment like at Michigan State, the excitement that stadium and program has, I would imagine our guys are ready to go.”

MSU re-enters the AP Top 25 poll on the heels of a 31-10 road win over Northwestern. The week prior, the Spartans stumbled out of the rankings after a 10-7 loss at home. 

Michigan State has an experienced quarterback in senior Brian Lewerke but is known for its defense. The Spartans allow 228.5 yards per game, the fifth best rate in the country. MSU’s rush defense ranks fourth nationally while its pass defense is No. 23. 

“I think that’s where it starts, up front, is just how physical they are,” IU offensive coordinator Kalen DeBoer said. “We’re gonna embrace the challenge.”

Preseason hype surrounding the offense simmered since the undisclosed injury to redshirt freshman quarterback Michael Penix Jr., but IU has quietly been of the most efficient teams moving the football in the country through its first four games.

The Hoosiers have the No. 20 ranked passing offense with 308.5 yards per game and the country’s sixth best total offense at 429 yards per game. Penix last played the first half against Eastern Illinois University, but IU has proved its offense can play consistently no matter the quarterback.

For the third consecutive week, it will be a game-time decision between Penix and junior quarterback Peyton Ramsey, but that doesn’t bother IU head coach Tom Allen at all. 

“We got two really good quarterbacks that play at a high level, and I believe in both of them, so that excites me too,” Allen said. “To me, I'm not going to put (Penix) out there if he's not ready. If he's not, then I would feel really confident that he would be ready after the bye week.”

IU football is 0-11 against ranked teams under Allen, but anyone around the team says there’s a different feeling this season. It’s games like this weekend that Allen would describe as an “opportunity” to reshape the program. 

The Hoosiers will look to avoid an 0-2 start to Big Ten play and pick up a signature win for Allen at 3:30 p.m. this Saturday at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan.