OPINION: Injured quarterbacks could spell trouble for NFL teams

spnsqbc091619

Reaching the playoffs in the NFL is largely based on quarterback play. I have suffered through years of bad quarterback play paired with a solid defense and seen my favorite team, the New York Jets, win between four and seven games each year. 

So, to say the Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets, New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers find themselves in a dire situation is not an overstatement. 

Between weeks one and two, each of these teams saw their quarterback fall to injury or illness, like the Jets.

Early in week one, Jaguars quarterback Nick Foles was hit hard by a defensive lineman on a touchdown pass. The hit looked even more awkward with Foles appearing to land uncomfortably on his back, with the full weight of Kansas City Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones crushing him into the ground. He would end up missing the rest of the game with a broken left clavicle. He was placed on the Injured Reserve list and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks. 

During the Jets'week one loss to the Buffalo Bills, Jets quarterback Sam Darnold led a slow and lethargic offense that stalled late in the fourth quarter. The Jets offense in week one was the polar opposite to the up-tempo, efficient offense I watched in the preseason. Fast forward to last Thursday, Jets' head coach Adam Gase announced Darnold has Mononucleosis, an illness that causes extreme fatigue.

The Saints’ week two matchup Sunday afternoon against the Los Angeles Rams saw a bout of NFC heavyweight teams in a rematch of last season’s NFC Championship game. Saints quarterback Drew Brees dropped back for a pass and was hit on the hand on his follow through by Rams defensive star Aaron Donald. Brees was sidelined for the rest of the game, and it was announced afterward that he tore a ligament in his throwing thumb.

The most surprising injury news of the weekend was dropped Monday morning when the Pittsburgh Steelers announced that Ben Roethlisberger will miss the remainder of the 2019 season with an injury to his throwing elbow. This leaves the Steelers in the hands of second-year quarterback Mason Rudolph.

Before the season started the Saints were my Super Bowl pick. I also had the Steelers winning the AFC North, the Jets sneaking into the postseason as a wild card team, and the Jaguars on the playoff bubble.

Now, the potential for all four to make the playoffs is in jeopardy.

Of the four teams mentioned above, I think the Saints and Jets have the best chances of salvaging their seasons. 

The Saints have the most talent out of any team in the NFC South on both sides of the ball. New Orleans’ backup quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, has played well before. In 2015, playing with the Minnesota Vikings, Bridgewater threw for over 3,000 yards adding 14 touchdowns and only nine interceptions.  He should be able to hold the team afloat for a few weeks until Brees comes back.

If Brees misses six games and Bridgewater wins at least three of them, the Saints will be in a good position to make the playoffs.

As far as the Jets go, Darnold is expected to be back for the Jets’ week five matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles at the earliest. But, for argument's sake, let’s say he remains out until week six against the Dallas Cowboys. In Darnold’s absence, the Jets will also face the Cleveland Browns in a week two matchup on Monday Night Football and the New England Patriots in week three.

The Jets were not expected to win any of these games even with Darnold manning the offense. If the Jets stay competitive and healthy during Darnold’s absence, and backup quarterback Trevor Siemian does enough to win one or two games, they could make a run for the playoffs when he comes back with an easy remaining schedule.

As far as the Jaguars and Steelers are concerned, I think their seasons are effectively over. 

With inexperienced quarterbacks playing in competitive divisions, it is difficult to envision a scenario in which either team reaches the nine-win plateau or claims their division title.

A team is most tested when its quarterback goes down with an injury. It is up to the backups on the Jets, Saints, Jaguars and Steelers to keep their teams above water.