bloomington

Monroe County Public Library organizes inclusive gender summit Saturday

cawomen092519.jpg

Lizzy Salvaggio wanted to change the way the Monroe County Public Library addresses issues she read about in “Period Power,” a book about the access to period products.

“I got really angry and excited, and I came to Erica about it,” Salvaggio said.

Since January, Salvaggio, alongside co-organizers Erica Brown and Annise Blanchard, has been planning to have a conference for people to feel open to discussing topics that gender plays a role in. The summit will take place at the library, as it is non-partisan, from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sept. 28.

“We feel it’s important for people to come here and talk and explore ideas without feeling like they can’t or like they are being judged,” Brown said.  

During panels and workshops, people will discuss how gender affects different topics, such as health care and homelessness. People ages 13 and up are invited to the free conference.

There isn’t a set schedule someone must follow. People can hop from panel to panel, attend one or stay all day. Outside of panels and workshops, there will be sexually transmitted disease screenings and a period product donation. Products will be given to Shalom Community Center and Middle Way House after the summit ends.

“If you walk into the library that day and don’t know it’s happening, you can still attend,” Brown said. 

There will be a lunch break from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Food and drink located in the atrium will be provided by Bloomingfoods, Hopscotch Coffee and Two Sticks Bakery. 

Salvaggio said a main goal of the summit is not only to inform attendees but to tell them how they can help.

“I hope that we bring awareness to issues to Monroe County that they may not have been aware of or been aware of how extreme they might actually be and giving them tools to go out into the community and help make a difference,” Salvaggio said. 

Events

Auditorium: 

10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. There will be a panel titled “Let’s Talk About Doulas.” 

1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. There will be another panel titled “Gender and Healthcare Access.”

3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. The latest panel of the day is titled “Gender and Homelessness” 

Room 2B/2C:

1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. A workshop titled “Establishing Relationship Boundaries, Supporting one Another When our Boundaries Are Crossed.”

3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. This next workshop is titled “Sexual Violence Prevention.”

4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. A workshop titled “Most Powerful Question You’ve Never Considered.”

Room 1B/1C: 

11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. A workshop titled “Reproductive Health Care and My Rights.”

1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. There will be a panel titled “Gender and Politics.”

3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. There will be another panel, titled “Gender & the Workforce.” 

4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. The last workshop in this room is titled “Women’s Healthcare and Wellness.”

Room 2A 

During the entire event, Julie Hartley will be overseeing STI screenings and needle exchange.