arts community events performances

Jewish Theatre of Bloomington to present “Oh God”

generic arts filler.jpg

The Jewish Theatre of Bloomington will present the play “Oh God” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 24, Oct. 26 and Nov. 2, as well as at 3 p.m. Oct. 27 and Nov. 3 at the Ivy Tech John Waldron’s Rose Firebay theater. The actors and crew plan to discuss the play following the the Oct. 26 and Nov. 2 performances. 

Tickets for the production cost $25 and are available through the Buskirk-Chumley Theater’s box office and website. Groups of five or more receive a $2 discount per ticket, and access seating is on a first-come, first-served basis but is guaranteed when informing the box office upon the purchase of tickets. 

The play is written by Israeli playwright Anat Gov and directed by IU Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance emeritus professor Dale McFadden. It tells the story of a single mother of a musically gifted son who is visited by God in the hopes that the two will learn from one another. 

The protagonist, Ella, will be played by Equity — an American labor union for theatre — actor, Julie Dixon and the son, Lior, will be played by Bloomington High School student Ron Kalinovsky. God will be played by local resident Ken Farrell. 

“Oh God” is described as a “divine comedy,” according to the Jewish Theatre of Bloomington’s press release that “sharply deals with the mysterious nature of God and our relationship to him by altering the circumstances.”

For more information, visit jewishtheatrebloomington.com or the Jewish Theatre of Bloomington on Facebook.