sports men's soccer

IU stays strong through missed opportunities and fatigue

spiumsrecap091719_2.jpg

Seventy-four minutes of close calls and tough breaks left No. 5 IU men’s soccer with some disbelief and frustration. Seven shots — some point blank — all failed to go into the net. 

Freshman forward Herbert Endeley had an open shot on goal that blasted off the right bar and sent sighs throughout the crowd. Other plays saw line-drive kicks from IU that could not get through the net. 

In the face of these near-misses and tired legs, IU stayed in it. 

During the 75th minute, freshman forward Maouloune Goumballe found classmate and forward Joshua Penn who finally found the target. It was the only goal of the game in a 1-0 victory against California State University at Sacramento. 

“This was the first game where we had to manage a late lead, and I thought it was good for us to be able to see a game out that way,” IU head caoch Todd Yeagley said.

Combined with a diversion play where some of IU’s players drew defenders toward the goal, Goumballe’s through ball from the outside found Penn, who kicked a bullet in the upper right corner of the goal. 

Penn’s second goal on the season was another example of the freshman contributing to the offense in an IU victory. Despite the team’s fatigue and missed opportunities along the way, Penn said the team is capable of production from anyone on the roster.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s a freshman or not, and I know any of our forwards would finish that,” Penn said. 

Friday’s win marked the third consecutive time the Hoosiers bounced back after a loss with a shutout victory. The build up to the game’s biggest highlight, however, featured several missed chances that could have put IU out in front early. 

IU’s offense had four shots on goal early in the first half but could not get them in. The Hoosiers had some hesitation on passes and shots that allowed Sacramento State to stay in the game. 

“I thought the first 15 minutes we were really sharp, and we could have been up a couple, and maybe we get those goals, and the game is kinda downhill for us at that point,” Yeagley said. 

Tired legs were the other culprit that factored into some of IU’s missed opportunities.

Yeagley gave freshman defender Brett Bebej his first minutes of the season as senior defender Jordan Kleyn and freshman midfielder Aidan Morris took some extra rest.  

Freshman Daniel Munie had his first start of the season as IU filled holes with injured freshman forward Victor Bezerra sitting the game out. 

Keeping the energy up, especially toward the end of the first half and for a solid chunk of the second, was a battle for IU. Solid work from IU’s defenders and diving saves from senior goalkeeper Sean Caulfield kept the Hornets scoreless and the Hoosiers in the lead.

Although he was pleased to get the win, Yeagley said the extra minutes from the overtime games are starting to show their effects.

“I thought it was good for us to be able to see a game out, and Sacramento State is a tricky team,” Yeagley said. “For us to get a couple new guys in the game was positive, and it helped us win.”