sports men's soccer

IU men’s soccer’s late goal downs Sacramento State

msoccer4.jpg

After suffering its first defeat of the season Tuesday night to Butler University, No. 5 IU looked to rebound quickly and get back to its winning ways.

In an effort to avoid its first back-to-back losses since 2014, IU welcomed California State University at Sacramento to Bill Armstrong Stadium on Friday night. The matchup marked the first time either program had ever faced each other.

“Sacramento State is a tricky team,” IU head coach Todd Yeagley said. “They’re very technical in a few spots. They play a bit of a loose, unpredictable style.”

With obvious disappointment surrounding its loss to Butler, IU came out of the opening kickoff playing every part of the aggressor early on.

IU sophomore midfielder Joe Schmidt got the action started in the fourth minute with a shot on goal, which was quickly corralled by Sacramento State sophomore goalkeeper Ryan Curtis.

The difference between a victory and a defeat ultimately came down to which goalkeeper would make the first mistake. Both Curtis and IU senior goalkeeper Sean Caulfield had stellar nights in net, with the latter collecting five saves and the former with six.

In the sixth and seventh minute, the Hornets came awfully close to taking an early lead after a pair of shots were deflected by Caulfield and sent above the net.

The Hoosiers responded with two close calls of their own as Schmidt’s second shot in the 12th minute was saved by Curtis, and IU junior midfielder Spencer Glass’s shot sailed just above the net.

A back-and-forth rally ensued from then on as each team jockeyed for possession of the ball, but with very little to show for it. 

“I thought the first 15 minutes we were really sharp and could’ve been up a couple,” Yeagley said. “I feel that first half we controlled.”

Following two more big saves from Curtis, with IU junior forward Thomas Warr recording both shots, the teams entered halftime having recorded five shots apiece and still scoreless.

The momentum seemed to shift coming out of halftime in favor of the Hornets as the Hoosiers looked uncharacteristically sluggish and worn down.

“We’ve got some tired legs, you could see,” Yeagley said. “And I think our schedule has started to take a toll on us.”

The slow restart allowed Sacramento State to take advantage on the offensive end, forcing Caulfield to be even more active in the second half.

Within 10 seconds of one another, Sacramento State’s Benji Kikanovic and Genaro Alfaro got off two quality shots from point blank range inside IU’s box, but Caulfield’s sprawling effort was enough to thwart the attack and swung the momentum back in IU’s favor.

After another key save from Caulfield in the 60th minute, the Hoosiers finally broke through at the 75-minute mark when IU freshmen forwards Maouloune Goumballe and Joshua Penn connected for a shot to the right side of the net that gave IU a 1-0 lead.

“Goals change games,” Penn said. “It just gave us the energy we needed. We had some tired legs tonight from our last game, so obviously that goal's going to give us some energy.”

Penn’s goal, his second of the season and of his career, was all the Hoosiers would need to close out a tight victory.

It was the bounce-back effort that IU needed, especially as they look ahead to two straight Big Ten road matchups in the coming week