Running backs, wide receivers provide depth for IU

spiufbwrrbsznpreview082719

Now that freshman Michael Penix Jr. has been named the starting quarterback, the supporting cast around him will be the biggest driving force in IU’s success on offense.

IU's running backs and wide receivers offer the depth that could ease Penix's transition into the starting signal caller position. There are certain players at both positions already that are poised to stand out.

Running Backs:

Sophomore Stevie Scott III first broke onto the scene in a cold and rainy game against the University of Virginia last season, as Scott sloshed his way to 204 yards and a touchdown, solidifying himself as the lead back for the Hoosiers.

Scott was a consistent bright spot for IU last season, averaging just shy of 100 yards per game en route to 1,137 yards and rushing for 10 touchdowns. Scott will look to continue his success as he is locked in as the lead back and named to the Maxwell Award watch list.

The biggest addition to the running back room for the Hoosiers is freshman Sampson James. James comes to Bloomington after flipping his commitment from Ohio State as a four-star recruit ranked as the 10th best running back nationally in the class of 2019, according to 247sports.

James’ talent is unquestionable, and IU Offensive Coordinator Kalen DeBoer will be sure to get the ball in his hands at different times throughout the season. Unless there is an injury, James will have to be patient as his workload likely will be light throughout his freshman season.

Junior Cole Gest, who entered last season as the starting running back, also returns for the Hoosiers after tearing his ACL in the season opener against Florida International University. Gest had high hopes entering last season as the starter, following a respectable 2017 campaign, and is likely to be utilized in a third-down role with his ability to catch and block well.

DeBoer has plenty of depth to work within his running back room, but it will likely be the Stevie Scott show as the sophomore will look to continue his production into his second season.

Receivers:

For the Hoosiers, their deepest position is the same one DeBoer played during his college career.

Outside the numbers, IU looks the same with fifth-year seniors Nick Westbrook and Donovan Hale, who have been productive for IU.

Last season, Westbrook led the Hoosiers in receiving with 590 yards but still took a step back from his breakout sophomore season in 2016 when he racked up 995 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

Across from Westbrook, Hale hopes to continue his upward trajectory following his best year as a Hoosier last season after being the second-leading receiver racking up 508 yards and six touchdowns. Westbrook and Hale’s combination of size, skill and experience provides the perfect safety net for first-time starter Penix.  

Down the middle, junior Whop Philyor will look to make up for the loss of Luke Timian, the Hoosiers’ second-most productive receiver last season.

Philyor’s signature game last season came against Michigan State when he caught 13 passes for 148 yards. Philyor was able to speed past defenders across the middle as he did for a 65-yard touchdown and consistently make them miss in the open field on screen passes as he turned upfield.

The cherry on top for the Hoosiers is junior Ty Fryfogle as its fourth receiver. Fryfogle contributed just shy of 400 yards and three touchdowns last season and allows DeBoer to be even more creative with the use of four receiver sets.

The Hoosiers' offense has plenty of promise this season. Now, only time will tell if DeBoer can push the right buttons and work his magic.