IU Cinema to feature two 3D movies this Friday

film filler.jpg

This Friday, the IU Cinema will feature the films “Long Day’s Journey into Night” and “The Bubble” at 7 and 10 p.m., respectively. “Long Day’s Journey into Night” is also showing Thursday night at the same time.

“Long Day’s Journey into Night” is a Chinese production written and directed by Bi Gan, who received the “Best New Film Director” at the 52nd Golden Horse Awards. The film follows a man as he returns to his hometown in southwestern China to search for a woman from his past. The film’s title has no relation to the Eugene O’Neill play of the same name.

The first half of the film is shot with a standard 2D perspective and traditional editing choices, but the second half of the movie is shot in 3D, transitioning in one unbroken shot.

“I liked the idea that the first half would be in 2D because I wanted it to feel as fragmented as time, with little bits of memory,” Gan said in an interview with IndieWire. “With the second half, I wanted it to be real-time, and the 3D was the best way to create a spatial experience for that.”

“Long Day’s Journey into Night” originally premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2018. The IU Cinema will show the film as part of its International Arthouse series, and tickets cost $4 for IU students and $7 for everyone else.

“The Bubble” is a 1966 science-fiction horror film that tells the story of a married couple and their newborn baby as they try to escape from a terrifying town surrounded by an impenetrable dome. The film attributed to "ground-breaking” film technology that helped to revitalize the industry of 3D movies. 

“These single-strip 35mm stereoscopic techniques were used in almost all major 3D features for the next 30 years,” the IU Cinema’s website reads. “Making 'The Bubble' not only a remarkable sci-fi thriller, but also an important milestone in the history of cinema."

According to the Internet Movie Database, upon the film’s initial release, “several notable critics denounced the slow pacing." This convinced the film’s director to cut out several film reels from the original photo negatives, cutting down the original run time to the 91 minutes that will be screened at the IU Cinema.

IU Cinema will screen "The Bubble" as part of its Not-Quite Midnights series, which is dedicated to showcasing “cult films, undiscovered cinematic gems and classic late-night movies,” according to the IU Cinema website, and will cost $4 for all attendees.

Tickets are available for these showings online, at the IU Auditorium Box Office or in the IU Cinema an hour before each showing.