arts iu auditorium

IU Auditorium welcoming major performances this fall

entauditorium.jpg

The lineup for the IU Auditorium 2019-2020 season was announced months ago, but with the fall semester beginning, the much-anticipated 14-show season is right around the corner.

According to the April IU Auditorium press release, the 2019-2020 theater season is being included as part of the major Indiana University Bicentennial celebration, breaking through with firsts for the auditorium and a diverse schedule.

Shows for the upcoming fall semester include performances from comedian Trevor Noah, the award-winning musical “The Book of Mormon” and the one-of-a-kind “STOMP.” 

Béla Fleck, Zakir Hussain & Edgar Meyer

The IU Auditorium theater season opens to the public this October with performances of classical, bluegrass and world music at 8 p.m. October 5 by Béla Fleck, Zakir Hussain and Edgar Meyer. With two Grammy award winners — Fleck and Hussain — and Meyer, an IU alumnus who has done work with Yo-Yo Ma, the starting three-piece show is not likely to disappoint. 

Trevor Noah

Comedy Central star and host of “The Daily Show,” Trevor Noah will be paying a visit to the IU Auditorium on October 11 with two performances, one at 7:30 p.m. and another at 10 p.m. The Emmy-award winner’s two stand-up comedy shows will be the kick-off to the IU Homecoming weekend. 

“Dennis James Hosts Halloween”

IU alumnus and organist Dennis James joins the lineup for the 2019-2020 season with his annual show at the IU Auditorium at 7 p.m. October 24, performing music from the well-known silent film, “The Lost World.”

“The Book of Mormon”

The worldwide phenomenon and nine-time Tony Award-winning musical, “The Book of Mormon,” will be paying a visit to the IU auditorium from October 29 to November 3, performing a total of eight shows while in Bloomington. The showtimes will vary for each of the daily performances.

“STOMP”

Returning to the IU Auditorium again is “STOMP,” a high energy show in which performers use their bodies and ordinary props around them to create an entrancing melody of different beats and rhythms in a unique musical experience. “STOMP” will be in Bloomington Nov. 14 at 7:30 p.m.

“Chimes of Christmas”

This annual performance from IU’s own Jacobs School of Music Singing Hoosiers will have two separate performances on Dec. 7, one at 2 p.m. and one at 7:30 p.m. at the IU Auditorium. With features of classic carols, contemporary songs and other arrangements, this performance is perfect to start the holiday season. 

Straight No Chaser

IU-born a cappella group Straight No Chaser was formed over 20 years ago and is making a return to Bloomington Dec. 13 at 8 p.m. at the IU Auditorium. The group gives a combination of popular songs, classics and a dash of humor, giving a wholesome closing to the theater for winter break.

The IU Auditorium will come back with even more anticipated performances in the spring, including “Les Misérables,” “The Color Purple” and “Waitress.”