IU Athletics publicizes alcohol sales regulations ahead of first football game

spiuathleticsalcbrief082819.jpg

Joining six other schools in the Big Ten, IU Athletics announced this past spring that it would be making beer and wine available for purchase at home football games starting this season. The athletic department released details of the plan Tuesday afternoon. 

With other collegiate programs such as Louisiana State University joining in on this revolution, IU athletic director Fred Glass is all for the move and thinks it will positively influence game days in Bloomington. 

“We have worked closely with our campus leadership throughout the planning stages to put together a thoughtful plan for beer and wine sales,” Glass said in a press release. “Our main goals with this initiative have been to enhance the gameday experience for our fans and reduce alcohol-related incidents in and around the stadium. I believe our plan will accomplish that.”

After an intensive procurement process with the university, IU Athletics teamed up with local company Upland Brewery for its alcohol-sale pilot program at Memorial Stadium. 

At most of the general concession stands and a number of new kiosks throughout the stadium, fans will be able to purchase alcohol through the end of the third quarter of home games. Domestic, 16-ounce beers will be available for $7, 16-ounce craft/premium beers for $8 and 250-ml cans of wine for $9. 

Servers are required to ask every purchaser that looks younger than 50 years old for a valid, government-issued ID. All purchases have a maximum of two alcoholic beverages, and no alcohol will be served to anyone who appears visibly intoxicated.

In order to ensure a safer environment for fans, no alcohol will be served in the stands of the stadium bowl which where the fans sit, and a designated driver awareness program is being established. 

The athletic department also announced that 10% of alcohol sales revenue will go toward an alcohol safety program for IU’s Division of Student Affairs. 

IU Athletics encourages fans to text or call 812-369-MYIU (6948) in case of “inappropriate or unruly behavior” at Memorial Stadium. IU’s first home game is Sept. 7 against Eastern Illinois University.