COLUMN: Spider-Man reportedly out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Anne Anderson's Spider-Man illo

Spider-Man fans are upset with Sony and Disney as they failed to reach a financial agreement, meaning Spider-Man is no longer a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is a devastating scenario to all fans of the Marvel franchise.

This announcement comes just after the summer Spider-Man: Far From Home blockbuster became Sony’s highest-grossing film to date

According to Deadline, Disney proposed a 50/50 financial deal that would require Sony to pay for half of the movie’s cost. Disney kept pushing Sony to accept this deal, creating an unfair and uncomfortable scenario for Sony.

Sony referred back to the deal that Disney first agreed upon in 2015 that led to Spider-Man coming into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but Disney refused to budge. 

Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios, issued a statement to Entertainment Weekly about the split.

“It was never meant to last forever,” Feige said.. “We knew there was a finite amount of time that we’d be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell, and I’ll always be thankful for that.”

Many fans are upset with both Sony and Disney for taking such a beloved character out of the MCU.

Initially, Sony received backlash from fans on Twitter for Spider-Man not returning alongside the Avengers. However, the tides turned when Sony spoke out. 

Sony Pictures issued a Twitter statement on Aug. 20, blaming Disney for the disagreement.

“We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film,” Sony said. 

Disney has yet to comment on the failed agreement.

Since Spider-Man is no longer a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, this means none of those characters will be able to appear in any future Spider-Man films. 

Sony is thought to be producing two more Spider-Man movies, but if these are produced, no Avengers will be coming along for the ride. From here on out, Spidey’s solo films will have to plunge down a different path.

Tom Holland first appeared as Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War in 2016 and has since been the face of Spider-Man in five movies. 

Holland seems to be feeling optimistic despite being cut off from the MCU. He also spoke to Entertainment Weekly to issue an official statement.

“I’ve had the time of my life,” Holland said. “Who knows what the future holds? But all I know is that I’m going to continue playing Spider-Man and having the time of my life. It’s going to be so fun, however we choose to do it.”

Now only time will tell when Holland will resume his role as Spider-Man.