sports   |   softball

Rebecca Blitz helps Israel finish ninth in European Championships

RebeccaBlitz2

Senior centerfielder Rebecca Blitz goes to bunt the ball against Purdue on April 25 in West Lafayette, Indiana The Hoosiers finished third in Big Ten standings after starting the season with a 7-21 record. Anna Tiplick Buy Photos

After one season away from the program, former softball player Rebecca Blitz helped guide Israel to a ninth place finish in the European Championships. She batted .520 in the tournament and had a tournament-best 11 stolen bases.

In 2018, Blitz received a phone call to join the Israeli softball team in an attempt to qualify for the 2020 Olympic games.

Last year, Israel only won a single game, but this time around it finished 7-2 with losses to No. 2 Italy and No. 5 Spain. Its ninth place finish was the best-ever placement for the team.

Blitz is no stranger to international competition as a Jewish athlete. In 2017, she played for Team USA in the World Maccabiah Games. She reached base in every at-bat except for three and had a gold-medal clinching triple to end the tournament.

While a part of the IU softball program, Blitz made sure her name was in numerous spots in the record books.

She finished her career second all-time with 236 hits and 89 stolen bases while also placing fourth with 133 runs scored, and her .339 career batting average is sixth all-time. 

More in Sports