sports tennis

Mila Mejic joins IU women’s tennis

SPIUWT

The IU women's tennis team announced last week Mila Mejic from Subotica, Serbia, has decided to come play for the program.

"We are ecstatic to welcome Mila Mejic to the Indiana women's tennis family," IU Head Coach Ramiro Azcui said in a press release. "Mila is an experienced and accomplished international junior player and is a great addition to an already strong recruiting class.”

On May 1, IU signed one of the top Romanian junior players, Alexandra Staiculescu. She ranked as high as No. 9 in the Romanian junior rankings and No. 35 in the Romanian senior rankings.

IU also announced in May it was adding a graduate transfer in Annabelle Andrinopoulos from the University of Colorado. Andrinopoulos played No. 1, 2 and 3 singles last year for the Buffaloes, spending most her time at the No. 3 singles spot. In doubles, she reached as high as No. 20 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings.

As for Mejic, she is dominantly a singles player, and according to the Women's Tennis Association, she has a career record of 39-44.

Dabbling in doubles, Mejic's WTA record is listed at 3-12 for her career.

The new Hoosier currently has a Universal Tennis Rating of 10.58 on a 16-point scale. Mejic’s highest career UTR is an 11.09.

“We're excited to add a second left-handed player in this class, and with a 5'9" frame and a big game, we're eager to see how she adjusts to indoor play,” Azcui said in the release. “Mila had interest from many colleges across the country and ultimately, the combination of both high-level academics and athletics at Indiana made the difference in her decision."

Mejic intends to study economics.