sports men's soccer

Mason Toye and Justin Rennicks earn MLS honors

iumssf8.jpg

The last two College Cup runs for IU men’s soccer came with multiple now-professional players on both rosters, two of which just earned MLS honors.

As a freshman in 2017, Mason Toye led the Hoosiers with 10 goals in 21 starts. He earned multiple accolades including Big Ten Freshman of the Year and First-Team United Soccer Coaches All-Midwest Region.

After helping lead IU to the National Championship game against Stanford, Toye was drafted 7th overall in the Major League Soccer SuperDraft by Minnesota United FC. After failing to score a single goal in his rookie season, Toye has turned heads in year two.

Toye earned MLS Team of the Week honors after scoring three goals and picking up two assists in his last three games. He was also nominated for MLS Player of the Week but LAFC’s Carlos Vela beat him out.

As a sophomore in 2018, Justin Rennicks helped the Hoosiers reach the College Cup with six goals in 20 games started.

Men's Soccer
Sophomore forward Justin Rennicks celebrates after scoring the game-winning goal against Michigan State during overtime Sunday. The Hoosiers won 1-0. Noble Guyon

Rennicks signed a homegrown deal with New England after his sophomore season.

With the New England Revolution, Rennicks hasn’t seen the most action in his rookie season but is seen as one of the best young players in the league.

He was named as one of 22 players on the roster for the 2019 MLS Homegrown Game. Rennicks made his professional debut as a halftime substitute on March 9 against Columbus Crew SC. He recorded his first goal in New England’s U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 match against Orlando SC on June 19 off a back-post header.